Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Organic Programming gets closures

In other words I'm closing the book.
I've not actively worked on this for a couple of years now and it's a subject that would require a lot more investment (in time) to really coalesce it into a subject in it's own right.

Of course I still believe in all the principles involved, and use them in my work and life. But they exist perfectly well outside of OP - which was only ever trying to bring them under one title and put a software development spin on them.

The trouble with doing that is it's hard to keep an identifiable focus without losing too much of what you wanted to say in the first place.

Another thing that's happened, or maybe I just didn't notice it before, but since I started this, back in 2003 I get the impression that many of the things I wanted to bring to a wider audience are more widely known now anyway. Certainly when speaking to people the typical response has gone from, "now that sounds interesting - tell me more", to, "yeah, and have you heard about X which takes it even further?". So I feel I have less of a mission.

Organic Programming is not dead, although you could say it's "decomposing". Maybe I'll come full circle in the future and open this up again.

I will follow through on my promise one day of explaining my code formatting style, though.

No comments: